Thursday, January 23, 2014

Went for the tiniest walk this morning to the river. The flooding from last week's "spring" had sent great blocks of ice way up onto the shore. Crisscrossed over each other, stacked like a child's building blocks, it felt like walking on teeter/totters the whole way to the water's edge.

This morning much of the river was already frozen. A floating vapor or steam rolled upstream and towards me as the sun rose higher and mixed with the cold, cold air.

Sitting there with my silk balaclava covering most of my face and the rest of me bundled up to match – even with the 1 degree temperature – I found myself finally able to release myself from the winter prison I have felt myself in.

I was able to let myself recognize the beauty all around me. And, slowly, slowly, after talking to guide after guide and the river herself, I could remember I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment